26. März 2021 - Online debate on „A climate neutral Europe by 2050: EU impulse and national action“
It is the pleasure of the Climate Recon 2050 platform to invite you to join an online debate with the European Commission and national government experts, discussing the impact of the climate neutrality target on EU climate policy and national planning processes.
Fifteen months ago, EU heads of state and government agreed on a new long-term climate policy goal for the EU: to become climate neutral by 2050. This is also the central objective giving guidance to the European Green Deal, and it is about to become legally binding through the EU climate law. It makes the EU the first regional bloc to have committed to going to “net zero” emissions. Arguably, the move to a higher 2030 emissions reduction goal of 55%, adopted a few weeks ago, is owed to this strengthened climate ambition.
This virtual expert exchange will be centered around the following guiding questions:
- – Has this new objective affected EU climate policy thus far – and the efforts underway in Member States to chart a course towards drastic emission cuts in long-term strategies (LTS)?
- – Does the EU goal change the relationship between national LTSs and the EU 2050 strategy? Will Member States have to revise their own strategies to reflect the EU climate neutrality goal?
- – How can EU level policies strengthen the long-term dimension in Member State climate policies and help unlock potential for progress deep emissions reductions?
To discuss these and other questions, we invite you to join us for a debate with key experts, bringing together both EU level perspective and the national implementation perspective:
- – Stefanie Hiesinger, cabinet of Commissioner Timmermans, European Commission
- – Pavel Zamyslicky, director, Energy and Climate Protection Department, Ministry of the Environment of the Czech Republic
- – Andrea Meyer, head of unit, national climate plan, Environment Ministry of Germany
- – Gertraud Wollansky, senior expert, Climate Ministry of Austria
The event will be live-streamed via Zoom, where pre-registered participants will be able to interact and ask questions directly to the panel.
Event date: 26 March, 10:00 – 11:30
Register here to attend: forms.ecologic.eu/CR2050_virtual_2021_03